As I mentioned earlier, one of my main modelling interests is in Victorian Railways narrow gauge operations, primarily the operations of the Beech Forest line, or "The Beechy". One of the points along that line was a stop called "Kawarren", located about 20km from Colac. From a modelling perspective, it was an interesting point along the line due to the unusual shape of the goods shed there (with the added on covered loading side), and the way it was a meeting point for a 2'7" horse tramway (pictured above) that delivered lime from the nearby lime pits, as well as a couple of other timber tramway lines converging as a delivery point for loading to the narrow gauge line.
I have intentions to bring this part of the Beechy to life as a future exhibition layout. I am not setting any deadlines on this one though, as I have several hundred gum trees to make, as well as all the locomotives and rolling stock. I started with what will likely be the only structures on the layout, with the goods shed and mallee shed ("station" of sorts), and have built them into a diorama, which is about 50cm x 50cm. One of the other reasons for doing this diorama was to also have a testing piece for the gum trees I'd been making. They had previously just been on storage boards, so it was nice to see how well they worked on a proper scenic piece. I'll upload a couple of quick pics of the diorama now, but there is still a fair bit of final detailing to add to the scene (such as NQR 203, as in the photos above, and some more stuff stored around the shed, like wagon tarps and misc goods). It will remain as a diorama for some time, but is intended that it will eventually become the focal point of the future layout. The figure is one of the MK35 guys that I mentioned in a previous posting, with the horse one of Ian Lindsay's fine castings. It was a fun and challenging one to build, since as a stand alone structure, all the attention was going to be on it, so I detailed it as finely as possible. Where able, I have tried to match the boards to the photos (as far as split or broken pieces, from the two sides of the shed that were visible), and have finished it with a peeled paint which I was able to reference from a 2 second grab on some archive film footage of the line.